Breastfeeding vs formula

Saturday 25 July 2020


It says it all in the title doesn’t it? Breastfeeding vs formula, why does it have to be such a big thing, the way in which we decide to feed our babies. 

Throughout most of my pregnancy I was unsure if I wanted to breastfeed and then as soon as Hope was born it’s all I wanted to do. It was like seeing her in this world for the first time made me want to do the best I can and from what everyone drills in to your head is breastfeeding is the best way.  

I tried breastfeeding from the moment Hope was born up until day 3 and it just wasn’t working. Hope wouldn’t latch and she kept getting really stressed and unsettled, I expressed my milk in to a bottle and she still wouldn’t take it so I thought let’s have a go at a bottle of formula. Wow she necked that milk in one go and she’s been the same ever since. I got really upset when breastfeeding didn’t work out, I felt like I had failed as a mom and that i wouldn’t have the same bond with Hope as moms that breastfed their babies. 

It’s a load of crap if I’m honest why should I feel bad for feeding my child something that makes her happy and content? Some of us don’t have the choice of whether to breastfeed or not and shouldn’t feel bad if we don’t breastfeed. My partner loves that we formula feed as he gets to experience it to and help out through the night. Oh and just to clarify the bond I have with Hope is just as strong as it would be if I breastfed it makes no difference at all. 

All I’m saying is it’s your baby, your choice! You want to breastfeed and do so successful good for you because it’s hard work! You want to formula feed your baby good for you because that’s also hard! Don’t ever let anyone make you feel bad for the decisions you make for YOUR baby. 

No comments :

Post a Comment